On this page:
- Create Customer List
- Create Email Template
- Create Email Campaign
- Monitor Email Campaigns
- View Email Details for Individual Accounts
The Natero email campaigns allow you to nurture and engage any customer segments you define based on fine-grained usage data.
For example, you might want to send a feature testing email to only a group of users who are your power users; or a particular feature enhancement email to only a group of users who have requested it before.
Create Customer List
Before creating an email campaign, you need to first define the customer lists that you'd like to use in your email campaigns.
Create Email Template
Once the lists are defined, you'll then draft the email content for your specific campaign. You can create an email template to be used repeatedly in your direct emailing or future campaign. Optionally, you can draft out your email message directly within the campaign editor using the Basic editor.
To create a new email template, go to "Emails" - "Templates", click on "New Template".
You have three options to edit your email message:
- Use the "Basic" editor
- Use the "Advanced" editor with the drag & drop feature
- Use the "Raw HTML" editor to upload your HTML File.
- Select editor type.
- Specify template name.
- Provide a description of this template.
- Preview the template as you are editing it.
- Save the template.
***Note that the total message size limit is 128KB. It is best to add links for images and not embed them in the email body.
***Natero currently does not support direct attachment to an email campaign, email trigger and email template. You can host the attachment in a 3rd party tool (e.g. Google Doc/Hubspot) and hyperlink it back to your email/email template.
***You can use any of the email variables we support anywhere in the email message, including within the HTML code. e.g.
Create Email Campaign
Once the email templates are saved, you are ready to start an email campaign. To create a new email campaign, go to "Emails" - "Campaigns", click on "New Campaign" and follow the described 3 steps on the page. Note that you can save the changes anytime when you are editing the campaign details.
Step 1: Message
The first step is to configure basic email settings and build the email message for this campaign:
- Specify the campaign name.
- Provide the description of this campaign.
- Specify From email, BCC (optional) email, Reply-to name, and email. Check the "no-reply" box if you wish to turn off the email reply capability for this trigger. Note that you can choose to show the Sender Name by adding "Sender Name <sender email>" to the From address field.
- Specify the email subject.
- Load a pre-saved a template or build the email body from scratch.
- Click "Next" to move to the next step.
Step 2: Recipients
The second step is to define the list of users that should receive emails from this campaign.
- Select campaign recipients from pre-saved customer lists created using the Natero List Explorer.
- Specify if one or multiple types of users should be included in the selected list, note that if none is checked, no users will be included in the defined list.
- Users of actives accounts
- Users that are CRM contacts
- Users that are product users
- A list of matching users will be shown below which you can select to include in this campaign. Once users are selected, click "Keep only selected" to include those users for the email campaign; click "Remove selected" to exclude those users from the email campaign.
- You can search for specific users by typing a keyword in the search box.
- Click "Next" to move to the next step.
Step 3: Review
The final step is to review the email settings and start the campaign.
- Select the campaign start time, you can start the campaign "now" or schedule the start of the campaign at a future date/time - your local time as displayed in your computer browser.
- Send a preview to yourself before starting the campaign.
- Click "Start" to start the campaign.
Monitor Email Campaigns
You can manage, monitor and view the campaign results on the "Campaigns" section of the "Email Center".
- Delivered: Number of users the message was successfully delivered to.
- Opened: Number of users that opened the message.
- Clicked: Number of users that clicked on a link in the message.
- Click-Thru Rate: Number of users that clicked divided by number of users that opened.
- Failed: Number of users that failed to receive the message.
- Unsubscribed: Number of users that unsubscribed from this campaign.
- Recipients: Number of recipients this campaign has been sent to.
- Accounts: Number of accounts this campaign has been sent to.
- Started: The date when the campaign started.
- Status: The status of the campaign.
- Actions: You can copy or delete the campaign.
You can click on the reported number to view a list of users that belong to each category.
- If you do not provide the CNAME records, there will be no tracking for "Clicks" and "Opens".
- "Opens" tracking will not work if the recipient does not "allow images" from the sender.
- Natero collects statistics on the campaign for 30 days. After 30 days, the campaign results won't be updated.
- Responses from the campaign recipients won't be received after 30 days since the campaign was run.
- The campaign statistics are not "live", they will be updated on an hourly basis.
View Email Details for Individual Accounts
We automatically log outbound emails sent from Natero to your accounts as email communications. You can view campaign email details for each individual account at the Account Details - Communications page. When recorded as an account email communication, the type will show "Campaign" and the communication subject will be the same as the email subject.
Please note that currently an account's email reply is sent via the mail service Natero uses back to your email server and we do not log that reply within Natero at this moment.
If you haven't enabled this feature in your Natero application, please click here to learn how to setup the Natero Email feature.