In this article:
- General metrics & dimensions
- Computed metrics
- Custom metrics & dimensions
- Usage Events vs. custom metrics
- Summary of availability
General Metrics & Dimensions
Natero provides a predefined set of metrics and dimensions for account and user analysis all throughout the product.
- Metrics are quantifiable measurements used to monitor and assess the status of a specific account/user activity, product usage, or business performance. Metrics are tracked over time to allow you to view trends, monitor and analyze customers changing behaviors.
- Dimensions are aspects or attributes of users, accounts, product or many others. They further break down a selected user/account segment into subgroups.
Computed metrics are account level metrics defined and calculated using other metrics and dimensions.
Custom Metrics & Dimensions
Custom dimensions and metrics allow you to combine Natero built-in dimensions and metrics with those that have not been predefined within the Natero CSM platform, so you can analyze your customer data with more flexibility and segment it by the dimensions that matter the most to your business.
Custom dimensions are not time series attributes that you can add to your accounts or users. Natero captures only the latest/instant value of a custom dimension for an account. There are three types of custom dimensions:
1. Textual Dimensions - dimensions with a text description
2. Numeric Dimensions - dimensions with a number
3. Date-based Dimensions - dimensions with a date
Custom metrics are time series metrics that can be charted over time to view trends. Natero tracks historical values of a custom metric for an account. Note that custom metrics are available only for accounts not users.
Usage Events vs. Custom Metrics
Events via the Event API are similar to Custom metrics, although while Custom metrics can only be associated with an account, events are associated with users. Also, events are typically actions that occurred at a single time (e.g. a button was pushed in the UI).
Summary of Availability
Below summarizes the availability of each type for Accounts vs. Users.
Below summarizes the availability of each type across different functionalities of the product.
|Alert Rule||Chart Explorer||List Explorer||Account Custom Views||Health Score|
|Account custom metrics||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Account custom dimensions||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Account computed metrics||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|User custom dimensions||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|